Thursday, November 10, 2011

Humility

Have you ever looked at yourself and thought you looked pretty good? Literally, a day before we started this commitment to get healthy, I said that. Then Damon took my before pics! As I sat there telling myself out loud that I was disgusting, Damon says "babe, you really don't look like that." Awe, really? How sweet. Then he delivers the next comment without hesitation. These pictures just aren't very flattering. DANG! I know he says things without thinking and is brutally truthful. In my heart, I know he wasn't trying to be hurtful.....but come on!

It was the kick in the pants that I needed. I needed a lesson in humility. No Lisa, you don't look healthy or fit. It took my husband saying this to me to really understand that I didn't even look......well......good.  I can imagine what he might have been feeling and thinking before telling me. Palms sweaty, lump in throat, heart pounding, dry mouth, and knees shaking. I guess what I am saying is that I don't take criticisms from Damon so well. The poor guy! I feel bad that my insecurities and horrible self esteem may have become a wedge in our relationship.

You know what I mean? I am pretty sure you do.  For example, Damon could ask me where the oreo's are (not even where they went. He may not see them in the pantry) and I could either blame the kids or get offended. Like I know where the oreo's went. Are you suggesting that I ate them Damon? Are you calling me fat? And.....there it is. All the while, Damon is thinking "I just wanted some cookies and milk for a snack."  Sound familiar? Time for a change! Not just a physical change.

Damon and I had a rest day yesterday but we were back at it today. I stand in front and he is behind me. I asked him if he watches me (cause I'm not embarrassed enough) and he said no! He is keeping up pretty good. This program is great. The music is what keeps me going. I like it loud and the dvd's have this option to have the music louder than the instructor! It's pretty cool. Our next day off is Wednesday. Getting up at 5:30 is nothing now.

How is your commitment to getting healthy going? If you need to be humbled, let me know and I will have Damon call you with what he really thinks! Kidding. If you are like me, it won't be anything you haven't told yourself anyway, right?

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...